Mac and cheese is a comfort food and now you don’t have to feel completely deprived because this keto stand in although not carby is quite tasty.
- 12 oz frozen cauliflower rice
- 1/3 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 ounces sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 ounces colby cheese
- 2 ounces parmesan cheese
- 1 large egg
- 2 tbsps sour cream
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/32 tsp pepper*
- 2 tbsps of water
*prefer white pepper but black pepper is fine. Don’t have a 1/32 tsp a small pinch all you need.
- Prep: Follow the FatUp Caulirice Prep Steps outlined in the Cauliflower Rice Guide to ensure your cauliflower is ready for the cheesy mix. This is the most important step in this dish! Steam, Press, Rinse, Fluff. In summary, we will steam a 12 oz bag of caulirice, remove all of the water by pressing and rinsing at the same time, then fluff which in this case it can remain inside the nylon nut milk bag (FatUp preferred method) or clean kitchen towel as we wait for the next step.
- Preheat: Turn on the oven to get it ready to cook our mac and melt that cheesy topping, making it all bubbly and browned.
- Cook: Heat a small skillet on medium heat for about 1 minute. We don’t want the pan to smoke, just heat it up! Add the heavy whipping cream and stir for about 30 seconds with a silicone spatula. We are looking to be able to drag the spatula and see a trail behind it of the bottom of the pan. Immediately turn off the heat and pour in half of the cheese (3 ounces). Add caulirice and mix thoroughly.
- Mix: In a small bowl combine egg, water, sour cream, salt, and pepper and mix. Now add to the caulirice and cheesy mix. It will look all separated at first, but mix it until nice and combined. Add to a suitable baking dish or use individual ramekins and portion it out.
- Top: Combine the rest of the cheese (3 ounces) for the top of the caulirice cheese mix.
- Bake: Place in the oven on 350 for about 25 minutes.
- Rest: Allow to rest for about 10 minutes before digging in.
- Plate: Get you a plate and eat your keto mac and cheese aka Cauli ‘n’ Cheese!
- Prep Time: 7 mins
- Cook Time: 25 mins
- Category: Side
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 289
- Fat: 22 g
- Carbohydrates: 4 NC
- Protein: 13 g
Keywords: keto mac and cheese, cauli n cheese