Warm, tasty, and chocked full of the keto friendly fat! This double pork + kale soup is a winner and will keep you coming back over and over!
Macros Per Serving: Calories: 380 Net Carbs: 5g Protein: 12g Fat: 35g
- 1 pound of Italian sausage
- 1/2 tsp of red pepper flake
- 8 oz kale ( no stems)
- 3 cups of chicken broth
- 2 cups of water
- 3/4 cup of white onion
- 1 clove of garlic
- 4 strips of bacon
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 tbsp + 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1. Prep kale by washing. If fresh strip leaves from stem and rough chop into bite size pieces. If you using a pre-packaged pre-washed fresh bag it will probably have stems. You can leave them if you choose, but I like to remove them. Then chop up onion and finely mince garlic and set aside.
- 2. Remove casing and break up the Italian sausage links into a cold large pot with wooden spoon or fingers to get bite size pieces and add red pepper flake. NOTE: You can buy 1 lb of sausage without the casing also.
- 3. Turn on burner to medium heat and cook the sausage through until no longer pink.
- 4. Once sausage is fully cooked, remove from pot and place in a bowl. Set aside until ready to add back into the pot.
- 5. Use kitchen shears to cut up pieces of bacon and add directly into the pot, and cook until nice a crispy.
- 6. If you’d like a little bit of crunch on top reserve 1/4 of bacon and drain on paper towel and set aside. Otherwise leave it all in pot.
- 7. Add chopped white onion and cook until translucent. Add garlic when onions are almost translucent to avoid burning.
- 8. Add salt, pepper, onion powder, and garlic powder.
- 9. Add both water and chicken broth and bring to a strong simmer. Immediately add all of the kale and mix everything around.
- 10. Once you stir, allow to cook for about 15-20 minutes or until the kale is tender, especially if you have stems attached to kale.
- 11. Add Italian sausage and stir. Then add heavy cream and stir around for about 30 seconds to reduce “milk” taste from the heavy cream.
- 12. Plate up and enjoy! Optional: Top with a little Parmesan cheese
Purchase pre-cut and washed kale.
I like to remove the thick stems in the pre-packaged bag but it’s not necessary because it takes an extra 5 minutes or so of prep. If you choose to leave the stems weigh it out to use only 8 oz of kale from the bag. With stems longer cooking time also.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Serving Size: 6
- Calories: 380
- Fat: 35