4 oz ground beef
6 dill pickle slices
3 oz medium cheddar cheese
1/2 cup sliced lettuce
1.5 tbsp diced white onion
2 tbsp diced tomato
sea salt (to taste)
fresh ground pepper (to taste)
- Make the sauce. Add all ingredients in a small skillet. Mix to combine and bring up to simmer on medium heat. Reduce to about half and allow to cool while we work on the next steps.
- Prep all toppings. Shred cheese, roughly chop slices of pickles, ice onion. Set aside.
- Weigh out 4 ounces of ground beef and roll it into a ball. We will smash them in the pan with a cast iron burger press or a smaller heavy bottom pan to create the crust.
- Sprinkle a blend of salt and fresh ground pepper all around the meat.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Heat a cast iron skillet on meat high heat until you see a little bit of smoke coming from he pan. Immediately place the meat into the pan. Use a small square of parchment paper if desired between the meat and the press, and press it down into the pan. Leave the weight there until the first side is cooked about 2 minutes undisturbed. Flip and cook 1 more minute.
- Remove from meat from the pan and roughly chop. Set aside.
- Get all toppings and lay everything out to layer it up in an oven safe dish. Start with the cheese in the base of the bowl, add burger patty, then onion, pickles and sauce. Repeat until all ingredients are used up.
- Add bowl to oven and bake for about 15 minutes or until cheese is nice and melted. Onions will still have a little bit of texture. Want an little extra browning on top? Cut the broiler on for a few minutes at the end.
- Allow to cool for about 10 minutes, top with lettuce and enjoy!
Don’t have the sweeteners for the sauce? Leave them out or add a pinch of erythritol if you have it.
- Prep Time: 15
- Cook Time: 15
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 632
- Fat: 48 g
- Carbohydrates: 5 NC
- Protein: 43