The easiest way to get 5 cups of healthy raw greens daily while living the ketogenic lifestyle! It doesn’t have to be hard! Here’s the skinny on the drink that I created after months of struggling to get enough greens! If you are doing a healthy low carb, high fat (LCHF) ketogenic diet you should know that greens are important! You need the nutrients! Before day one of the start of my journey, I learned this but struggled to meet my self-imposed daily requirement, well actually Dr. Berg had lots to do with it! I love me some Dr. Berg!
Pre-keto all smoothies for me consisted of a banana for the creaminess but most importantly the sweetness, so without it, I was like how the heck am I gonna make this work!? In the beginning, I struggled to chug down this separated glass of green sludge, usually with lots of foam (YUCK!). I avoided kale because my blender just couldn’t handle much of it and make it pleasant to drink. Before long I found myself not getting enough greens and only eating cooked veggies. So I was on a mission to find a drink I could take down daily to get a good amount of greens in.
I searched the internet to find a keto green smoothie but didn’t find anything that looked right for me so, I figured I gotta get this together and find a solution! The main reason I was super adamant to make this happen was I noticed when I did drink the sludge I lost more weight, so I had to figure out something! First I tried avocado, and it seemed like a good idea because it would give me the smooth and creamy element at least reminiscent of my banana days, but in the end although great for keto because of the healthy fats and potassium, it was just to thick for my liking much better suited for guac in my opinion, and stevia although one of my favorite sweeteners there’s a fine line between sweet enough and “Oh Lawd that’s too much!”! To spare you all of the unnecessary tests that happened not to mention I barely remember what I tried because if it was nasty…on to the next I went, and down the drain! RIP to all the wasted TFS (The FatUp Skinny) attempts!
After months of trying random things one afternoon, it hit me! I was thinking if I just add the greens (spinach because I didn’t like spring mix either in my test) my lemon juice (I’m a lemon juice fanatic), pop a little MCT in that joint some stevia for sweetness, maybe this will be perfect and spare me the separated green sluge disaster. Little did I know that would be the beginning on the winner! I started out only adding liquid stevia because I hadn’t discovered Swerve® Brand Sweetener yet. Now the S-n-S (Stevia and Swerve) blend as I call it, helped me get a green drink, more like a juice, that I could tolerate.
- Organic Baby Spinach | 5 oz
- Lemon Juice | 2 tbsp
- Swerve Confectioner | 1 tbsp
- MCT Oil | 1 tbsp
- Liquid Stevia | 3-5 drops
- Water | 10 oz or 1 1/4 cup
- 1. Measure 5 oz of greens and put in your blender container.
- 2. Add lemon juice, MCT Oil, Swerve, Stevia, and Water.
- 3. Boost It (optional) Check options below
- 4. Blend
- 5. Add some ice to a glass, pour up your FatUp Skinny.
WHAT YOU NEED:
Blender (Nutribullet or any high powered blender)
Food Scale (to weigh greens)
Ways to do what I call a “Boosted FatUp Skinny” (add one or more):
- Switch out 1-2 oz of spinach for kale or beet greens
- Add 2 tsp of wheatgrass juice powder
- Add 1/4 tsp of sole
- Add 1 tsp of unflavored liquid plant-based minerals
- You know I will keep it one thousand with you! Use a straw! I will warn you, my recipe or not, ya need the real! Once blended it has a unique smell. Something about blending the spinach as the sole green brings out an aroma, so, grab a wide straw and you’ll be A-OK! Trust me on this! The stevia drops vary because all spinach is different. The best way to describe it to me is some seem a bit more potent than others and therefore, in my opinion, sometimes need a bit more sweetener. Judge me if you’d like, I come from the south we drink sweet tea! Just kidding it’s actually not that sweet, but adjust the stevia to your palette, but be careful, stevia can have an aftertaste, so go easy at first!
- Get organic greens if you can!
- I like to pour this up in the wide mouth 24 oz mason jars with a little ice so it all fits and use a wide straw to get it down, and boom done! Quick and easy way to get 5 cups of greens!
- Pre-measure all greens and store in plastic bags so you can just pop them out of the fridge as needed. When using a high powered blender I freeze them, but when using my Nutribullet I prefer the fridge, but that’s personal preference of course!
- Make it fresh! I hate old smoothies, but this is another personal preference. Try out make ahead and see if the taste works for you, but I highly recommend make it and drink it for this recipe!
- Use Swerve® Brand Sweetener. This is my absolute favorite when it comes to a granular or confectioner style sweetener alongside my liquid stevia (my favorites are Trader Joe’s brand and SweetLeaf Stevia Clear)! The combo is magic!
- If you choose not to use the Swerve®, liquid stevia works just fine as I used it exclusively before discovering Swerve® but add stevia little by little to your likeness.
- HATE GREENS? Use a squeeze of Stur Brand stevia sweeteners (my faves are Boldly Blue & Blackberry and Simply Strawberry Watermelon) along with regular stevia sweetener to give TFS an even more pleasant taste, adjusting to your perfect level of sweetness. Stur sweeteners are LIFE!
Try it! Share below how you choose to customize your FatUp Skinny!
Links in this post are NOT affiliated, I only share brands that I actually use and love!